Here's a list of resources that my company already possesses (hypothetically):
1. A good understanding of the industry
V: Almost necessary for my type of business, and allows for greater chance of success
R: Not exactly the rarest advantage
I: Relatively easy to copy
N: I don't think that there's anything that could replace this advantage exactly
2. Organization and dedication to succeed
V: It's something that definitely helps in other areas of my life, so it will probably help here too
R: Not a very rare trait to possess
I: Not easy to copy, comes more from within
N: Another advantage which can't really be replaced
3. Extensive market
V: Can't be understated. Required for the company to succeed
R: Average, as there are many companies with poor markets to work with and others which have very lucrative ones
I: Can't be duplicated or copied
N: The market can't be replaced unless we're talking about another area of the market itself
4. Connections
V: Helps with establishing the company and conducting business, especially in the beginning
R: Not rare
I: Can be somewhat replaced through other mediums, but not as effectively
N: Can be substituted and is not necessary for success, although it helps greatly
5. Part of the generation that grew up with social media
V: Important for understanding the industry and the passion behind it
R: Not very rare, as there are many people my age
I: Knowledge isn't easily replaced by people from earlier generations
N:Not required but helps with success
6. People skills
V: Important for conducting almost any business
R: Not rare, but also not universal
I: Can't be replaced or copied
N: Can be substituted, especially if business occurs online, but it's still important to have
7. I understand the importance of the idea
V: Assures that I can express my ideas correctly and effectively
R: Somewhat rare as there aren't many with similar business ventures
I: Somewhat easy to copy, but not automatic
N: Not required, and can be learned
8. Knowledge of specific social media sites
V: Required for the business
R: Not rare
I: Easy to copy, but not easy to maximize benefits and usage
N: Can be substituted by other knowledge or very little knowledge
9. Access to financial resources
V: Essential for starting the company and making the right decisions
R: Not rare
I: Easy to copy, many investors looking to put money into startups
N: Not substitutable unless another source of income is made
10. Access to potential employees who know social media and marketing
V: Necessary to successfully work with clients and come up with new ways to improve and innovate
R: Not rare, but relatively difficult to find if not looking in the right place
I: Somewhat easy to copy
N: Substitutable and not necessary to start up the company
I would say that my most important advantage is how extensive the market is. The field for my concept will only grow in the coming months and years, and more and more companies will require an online presence in which they effectively communicate their product/service and their ideas with their target audiences.
I also see this concept growing immensely in the coming years and agree with you that it is important to have an advantage. The other resources you have listened complement each other well to make sure that your company is running smoothly. I also think people skills is important in this concept because you have to consult with people often.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIn the assignment it says to "produce a list of at least 10 resources that you already possess" but then goes on to say that "You may also discuss the organizational culture you intend to create (but, obviously, it's not a resource that you have, now.)" It seems you did this assignment focusing mostly on the hypothetical, which was interesting because most of what I've seen talked about more personal advantages, like human capital, qualities, and traits. Be that as it may though, you still generated many hypothetical advantages that any successful company should have. This was a good list and it shows you're looking ahead already. Good job.
ReplyDelete