Thursday, July 28, 2016

My Exit Strategy

In terms of exit strategy for my venture concept, I think it all really depends on how well the company actually performs. If the company becomes wildly successful and expands into new markets and opportunities, I would be very open to staying with the company in order to help it grow and become even larger than it already would be. However,  I would seriously consider selling the company and/or leaving in order to pursue other ventures if the company didn't perform as well as I expected it to. Additionally, if I didn't like the direction that the company was headed in, I would probably leave to take advantage of other opportunities.

Since I haven't exactly picked one particular exit strategy, I'll elaborate more on my rationale for the potential strategies that I provided above. I think that when I'm able to work in the same mindset and have the same goals as the company I work for, I'm more successful because I actually want to make a difference in the workplace. However, if my heart and/or mind isn't in line with the ideals and objectives of the company, I think that my work is negatively affected, and hinders my performance. For these reasons, I can't say for sure whether I'd stay with my company or sell it in 5 years. What I can say with near-certainty is that I don't plan on the company becoming a "family business," but depending on how the company would actually play out, it's always a possibility.

I truly feel that my exit strategy didn't affect the development of my business concept in any major way. Before this assignment, I hadn't thought about what I would actually want to do with the company in the future. That may be bad planning/foresight on my part, but it's the truth and I'm not going to deny it. Looking back, I may have influenced the development of the concept unknowingly with thoughts about the future, but I don't think that the exit strategy played a major role.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the assignment, I like that you put your exit strategy into perspective. Unfortunately, none of know what could happen with our first venture concept. I think that it's important to consider all options before settling on an exit strategy. I wish I had put it into prospective more when I was writing my exit strategy. I think many things could happen that could potentially cause any entrepreneur to decide to stay or leave their company. After all, adaptability is an important quality for an entrepreneur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Michaela in that its important to consider all options because that makes for a more effective strategy when forecasting something. However, because you would be both the president and CEO it would be up to you to lead your company into the direction that you envisioned. People will always give their two cents but that's only for you to take into consideration when you are the majority owner. Being a leader and manager is having the ability to articulate and inspire what you see the ultimate direction of the company going in whenever you come up with your vision statement.

    ReplyDelete