1. For this assignment, the portmanteau that I came up with was "loanership." I came up with this after finally receiving back my Playstation 3 game console (PS3) from one of my friends, who had had the device on his shelf after borrowing it for such a long period of time that he basically owned it, even though it was still being "loaned" to him.
2. After coming up with "loanership," I decided to define it as something that refers to a situation where someone has loaned or borrowed something from someone else for an extended period of time, and now essentially owns said item, even though it's still technically being borrowed.
3. In order to get exposure to my new word, I decided to tell my friends and family about the story about recently receiving back my PS3 from my friend after such a long period of him loaning it from me. I dropped "loanership" in each of these conversations, at first with no explanation and then if they asked about it, I would explain afterward. In most of the conversations that I have had, they have asked me, at least at first after saying the word, what I meant by that. There were no initial laughs in any of these conversations, unfortunately, but after explaining what loanership meant, I was able to get a few chuckles here and there. In other conversations, I would attempt to use the word when someone was discussing borrowing something from someone else, saying things along the lines of "Watch out, you don't want this to turn into loanership," or "Man, that sure does sound like they're beginning loanership of your (blank)." Yeah, these conversations ended up being kind of awkward after using a word no one had heard of before, but that's okay because it was all for the assignment.
No comments:
Post a Comment