Saturday, June 11, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 1

1. My name is Connor Harding and I'm going to be a senior ISOM student at the University of Florida. Some of my talents include my attention to detail, my ability to read and comprehend things quickly, and my ability to draw and paint. I have previous experience working in two part-time jobs in which I worked as part of a team to complete tasks and assignments. I have also worked in an internship in the technology industry in which I honed my skills in multimedia, app development, and data analysis. My aspirations include completing my Masters degree in ISOM and getting a job in the industry that I both enjoy and feel that I'm making an impact on those around me. I see this business as playing a role in my life because I feel that it would become my full-time job if it were to take off and it would work directly with what I have already and what I will learn with my ISOM degree.

2. My product/service is a social media consultation company, in which I will approach businesses who desire to have a social media presence in order to cater and market directly to their potential customers, but are unsure as to how exactly they would do that. I would meet these businesses' unmet need of wanting to better market their own product or services to consumers through data analysis and comprehension, an extension of experience I have obtained from my internship and my skills that I have developed as an ISOM major.

3. I feel that my customers (in this case businesses) are those that are not large enough to have an internal marketing and data analysis department in which that can perform the tasks of my business idea in-house. I think that larger companies will already have these needs met because they will have the budget to afford hiring an internal team of strategists and analysts who can perform the same tasks my business can. I think that another similarity that my customers have is a strong desire to tailor their marketing strategies and market outreach to customers that will actually be receptive to their efforts, versus simply throwing things at the figurative wall and seeing what sticks. I hope that my business will be able to meet these unmet needs and lead to customers who are both happy and satisfied with my product/service, and have it lead to expansion and increased business with other similar companies.

4. I think that customers (businesses) will actually care about my product/service because I offer something that they want and need, and they cannot do it themselves, or they're attempting to and failing to get the results that they desire. I think that by my business idea offering a must-have marketing and strategy consultation service for social media usage, I will create something that small and medium-sized business owners must have.

5. What sets my business idea from everyone else is that there is virtually no competition in my business' field yet, and I have a unique perspective on how social media works from my experience in the ISOM and technology fields, instead of just from a marketing perspective. I can take and use the numbers from data analysis to understand what truly caters and appeals to potential customers and what it takes to get said customers to pay attention to my clientele, which in this case are businesses.

I believe that the elements of my post actually fit together quite well. I think that I might have a weak area in that my product/service may not necessarily be the only one of its kind, and that I might have to figure out a stronger way to distinguish myself from other competitors. I feel that this concept goes together nicely with my experience and skills, and I think that it's a service that's only going to grow larger and larger as time goes on. The presence of social media in our lives as consumers grows everyday, and more and more companies are realizing this every day. With my idea, I hope to capitalize on said growth.

2 comments:

  1. I also pay very close attention to detail because i like to make sure that everything is being covered. I think it is important that you are focusing on smaller business because they are just as important as larger companies. Small businesses also help the community and social media is a great way to get in contact with the community, and see what the community is interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I stated on your other post, utilizing social media well in this day and age will put your company at a great advantage. People are viewing Twitter and Facebook more than they are billboards, newspapers, or commercials. If you're already experienced in the field and there is no competition in the market right now, you should hop on this immediately!

    ReplyDelete